Frequently Asked Questions
What types of blankets do you accept?
We accept a variety of handmade blankets, quilts, and afghans made from washable and dryable fabrics and yarns. Please note that ALL purchased blankets must have some sort of embellishment, border, or appliqué to make them acceptable as handmade blankets.
All donations are tax deductible as we are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, charitable organization.
Where can I donate my handmade blanket(s)?
We have the following four blanket drop-off locations as we know you may not be able to attend the monthly meetings but want to contribute your handmade items.
- CLARK SENIOR CENTER 1210 Charles Street, La Plata, MD 20646. Drop off during the week or bring your blankets to a monthly meeting.
- MATERIAL GIRLS QUILT BOUTIQUE (The Henley Family) 6750 B Crain Highway, La Plata, MD 20646. Website: www.materialgirlsquilt.com.
- CENTURY 21 REAL ESTATE (next to Burlington Coat Factory) 3292 Crain Highway, Waldorf, MD 20603.
- JOANN'S FABRIC & CRAFT @ Brandywine Crossing, 15920 Crain Highway SE, Brandywine, MD 20613.
Whenever you drop-off items, please make sure your handmade blankets or fabric are designated for Project Linus and include your contact information, so we can provide a gift in kind for your wonderful donation.
What size and type of blankets are needed?
Many of you have asked what size and type of blankets to make.
- We accept a wide-range of handmade blankets including crochet and knitted blankets, quilts, fleece throws, etc. For ideas on what to make, please check out our Blanket Ideas & Links page.
- As children come in a variety of shapes and sizes, the following are a suggestion, not a requirement for sizes: Infant 25" x 35" | Toddler 35" x 45" | Child 40" x 60" | Teen 40" x 72".
Click here for a 1-page printable blanket standards document.
Do you accept fabric donations?
We will gladly accept most of your unwanted or excess fabric and yarn. Donate what you want, and we will gladly go through it and dispose of what is not of use to you or us.
- Project Linus HQ mandates that we use only cotton fabric in our quilts. Ideally we prefer 1/4 yard pieces or larger.
- Fleece fabric is also accepted and smallest piece that we can use would be an 18" square, which can be used in taggy blankets for infants.
- We are always looking for yarn for our crochet crowd. It can be any color but must be washable and a smooth texture.
- Lastly on our wish list is crochet thread of any color but cannot be high gloss or metallic thread varieties. This is what we use to tie our sandwich quilts together.
Additional note: If interested in receiving a receipt for your taxes, please include your name, mailing address, and request for a gift in kind receipt along with your donation.
Do you accept monetary contributions?
Yes, please contact Mary Hancock, Coordinator of Project Linus of Charles County, via our Contact's page.
Do you support service projects?
Yes, we support a variety of service projects including high school, scouts, and more! We can provide guidelines for blankets and service hour "credits." Please contact us for more information.